***This giveaway is no longer accepting entries. Please scroll down for great PRETEND PLAY IDEAS FOR PRESCHOOLERS.***
With summer winding down, I’m on the lookout for some fun activities to keep Grady and Haley entertained indoors when the weather gets cold. We love pretend play here at our house, so I’m rounding up some pretend play ideas to have on hand to get us through the bitter cold PA winter. I’m also joining in with a fun giveaway hop – One Last Hurrah for Summer – hosted by my friends Viva Veltoro and So Easy Being Green to celebrate the last of the warm weather. There’s lots of great prizes to win, so be sure you check out the linky and my own review and giveaway (perfect for pretend play!) below.
Pretend Play Ideas for Preschoolers
Here are a few favorite pretend play ideas at our house and a few that we’ll be doing this winter:
- Grocery Store – We set up all our play food around the house and then shop with our shopping cart. Great way to talk about different healthy foods, colors, counting, etc.
- Train Conductor - This is currently Grady’s favorite. We set up the chairs to look like train cars and then have fun taking the train to exotic destinations.
- Tea Party – We set up stuffed animals, get out our tea party set, and have fun serving our “friends.”
- Bus Driver – Similar to train conductor, but we have fun picking up and letting off passengers.
- Fisherman – We get out our play fishing pools and pretend we’ve caught some big fish!
- Chef – We usually do this outside by collecting leaves and flowers to make into a salad of sorts, but we’ll enjoy this inside as well this winter with our craft supplies and whatever else we can pretend are ingredients.
- Repairman – Grady takes his toolbox around and pretends to fix everything. It sometimes gets pretty loud with all the hammering!
- Mommy/Daddy – One of our favorites. We love to take care of our baby dolls and stuffed animals. Changing diapers, feeding them, and even carrying them in a sling like the one we were sent to review from Comfy Joey (check it out below).
- Race Car Driver – It’s so easy to get out a chair and pretend it’s a car, although Grady usually empties out a basket and sits inside it.
- Superheros - Grady is usually Spiderman or Batman and has fun saving me and Haley from the bad guys.
Comfy Joey Dolly Sling Review
The Comfy Joey Dolly Sling is basically just a mini version of their adult linen sling! It’s made from scraps of fabric leftover from their slings, uses real SlingRings (size small), and is sewn with the same Comfy Joey Hybrid Shoulder. The fabric is narrower than an actual sling – so just remember that it can’t be used to carry an actual baby or pet. It’s strictly meant for pretend play (see all the ideas above).
It comes in a multitude of colors (remember it’s scrap fabric from their slings) and several sizes by age (2-3, 4-6, and 7-10). The Dolly Sling pictured is the Jasper Icy Blue Linen and it’s sized for Grady who is 3 – so it’s their smallest size. It needs to be threaded before use just like a regular adult sling – but once you do it the first time, it can pretty much just stay like that until you need to wash it (on cold and then line dried). Your child will need help to tighten it around their doll/stuffed animal, but can probably do it on their own after a few tries. Grady’s 3 and can tighten it up himself – but he sees me use one everyday – so he may have a little advantage!
And he loves using it! The first thing he said when we opened the package was, “Just like Mommy’s!” He’s so excited to be able to use the same thing I use with his sister. And I’m sure Haley will want to use it soon, too! Probably more so than Grady I imagine.
He likes to put his stuffed bear on his back and go about his business. Taking care of your bear doesn’t get in the way of mowing the grass and climbing trees.
If you’re interested in more information about Comfy Joey’s adult sized slings make sure you check out my previous review of the Linen Sling and the Mesh Water Sling! Both are awesome and got so much use this summer!
What are your favorite pretend play ideas for preschoolers? Do your children like to pretend they’re mommy and daddy and do what you do?
You can purchase the Comfy Joey Dolly Sling, like the one I reviewed, on the Comfy Joey Website for $32.50. It’s a little pricey for a doll sling, but it’s high quality and will last you through multiple children – so worth it in my opinion.
One lucky According to Jenny reader is going to win a $25 gift card to use at Comfy Joey! You can use it to help you purchase a Dolly Sling for your little one or put it towards a larger purchase of a full sized adult sling. Your choice!
Enter below using the rafflecopter form. The first entry is mandatory and then the rest of the entries are optional, but will greatly increase your chances of winning! You can view my official giveaway rules here. Good Luck!
US/CAN, 18+, Ends 10/3/13
***This giveaway is no longer accepting entries.***
Winner: Olivia D.