***This giveaway is no longer accepting entries. Read on for Essential Oils for Sore Muscles.***
My husband often has sore muscles after going to the gym. I don’t think he stretches enough, but regardless, I’m usually the one who’s rubbing and chopping his calfs several times a week. While I don’t mind, I thought I’d try some essential oils to see if it could bring him some extra relief. Below you’ll find the essential oils for sore muscles that we’ve been using in conjunction with massage.
Essential Oils for Sore Muscles
- Wintergreen - Great for pain and swelling, headache, cramps, achy joints, sore muscles, and back pain because it’s known as a counterirritant – meaning it causes irritation that reduces pain and swelling. Interesting, right? Plus, it’s cooling and feels nice on your skin.
- Peppermint - Commonly used for flavoring in foods and beverages, peppermint oil has many health benefits, too. Remember – it’s great for digestion! It’s also used topically to treat sore muscles, joint conditions, menstrual cramps, and headaches.
- Chamomile - Just as chamomile tea brings a sense of calm, chamomile essential oil does the same. Applied topically to the skin, it is an anti-inflammatory. It can calm arthritis pain, sore muscles, and headaches.
- Rosemary - This oil has many uses from hair loss to concentration, but is also widely used to treat arthritic conditions and muscle pain.
- And many more - Marjoram, lemongrass, lavender, camphor, blue tansy, helichrysum, and birch.
- Use an Oil Blend for Ease - Instead of taking each of these oils separately, it’s beneficial to take a blend of some common oils for sore muscles like doTERRA’s Deep Blue that I was sent to review.
doTERRA Deep Blue
The doTERRA Deep Blue comes in a 10 ml roll on bottle or a regular 5 ml bottle and includes some of the best known essential oils for sore muscles – wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, blue tansy, blue chamomile, helichrysum and osmanthus. Deep Blue is for topical use only and the roll on bottle makes this especially easy to apply. Simply roll it on to any achy joints or sore muscles and then massage it in to the skin until it’s completely absorbed. Over the past month I didn’t have any reason to use it, but my husband tried it out on his sore calfs and liked the effects. It felt cooling on his skin and eased some soreness – but didn’t take it away completely. It also has the side benefit of being great for respiratory colds and I noticed it cleared my nasal passages right up due to the presence of wintergreen and peppermint.
All doTERRA essential oils are 100% pure CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® essential oils and are extracted using low heat steam distillation (in most cases). This blend is only safe to take topically.
How do you relieve your aches and pains? Have you ever tried essential oils for sore muscles?
You can purchase the doTERRA Deep Blue Roll On, like the one I reviewed, on the My Natural Family Website for $70.40. It retails from doTERRA for $85.33.
One lucky According to Jenny reader is going to win a bottle of doTERRA Deep Blue Roll On! You can also enter other giveaways for doTERRA Deep Blue here.
Enter below using the rafflecopter form. The first entry is mandatory and then the rest of the entries are optional, but will greatly increase your chances of winning! You can view my official giveaway rules here. Good Luck!
US/CAN, 18+, Ends 10/14/13
***This giveaway is no longer accepting entries.***
Winner: Janet L.
The product I reviewed and the giveaway prize was provided by My Natural Family and will be shipped to the winner by My Natural Family. All opinions expressed are my honest opinions based on my personal experiences. If you own a blog and would like to run a giveaway like this, check out their blogger program. The information in this post is for educational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your health practitioner to discuss your questions concerning the use of essential oils.