Valentine’s Day is just a few days away and I’ve been doing a few activities with Grady to celebrate this season of love! We’ve been reading Valentines’ themed books, making hearts in play dough, and giving lots of hugs and kisses. The thing he’s enjoyed the most is his Valentine’s Day Sensory Bin! We made one last year and he loved it – so I made him a new one this year, too!
Here’s what we’ve got in there. I just used things from around the house that I already had:
- The base is rice. We’ve used beans and pasta in the past, but rice is his all time favorite! If you’re feeling enthusiastic – you can dye it. I didn’t have time this year – and honestly he didn’t even seem to notice.
- 2 pink spoons for scooping. Ours are from Beaba.
- Pink, white, and red Pom Poms - regular and sparkly.
- Pink and purple plastic bowls – They’re the The First Years Take & Toss ones.
- Pink heart shaped cookie cutters – I think they are these ones.
- Pink, white, and red foam hearts.
- Red heart ice cube tray - great for sorting!
- 2 wooden people – they’re from this School Bus Set from Melissa and Doug.
- Empty Earth’s Best Baby Food Jar and Pouch Lids.
I’ll be throwing a few more things in there as the days go on to keep his interest. Different jars and scoops, more heart items, etc.
He spent a TON of time scooping rice into the various jars/cups. He’s very into counting right now, so he did a lot of that, too. I’ll get him to sort items by color and shape next time we get it out. He really enjoyed putting rice in the baby food jar, closing the lid, and shaking. We laid a blanket out – but it still got everywhere (the lid wasn’t always on quite right a few times). You’ll definitely need to vacuum or sweep afterwards! Totally worth the hour + time it occupied him!
Have you ever made a Valentine’s Day Sensory Bin? Grady loves sensory bins. I get a kick out of making them, too!
Links to Amazon are affiliate links. Happy Shopping! I wrote this post as part of the Earth’s Best Blogger Program. I was provided product samples in exchange for my post and may be eligible for additional rewards. Regardless, all opinions expressed are 100% mine!